Sunday, January 25, 2009

Book Shelf

I read about one book a week. That hour that I call my own just before bedtime. It has to be a good book or I will NEVER finish it...I will instead FALL ASLEEP because it is that last hour.

To make the list, the book has to be finished and memorable enough that I recall the title! So all of these books are at least GOOD. I have given them 1 to 5 stars. The ones with no stars..well I just don't remember the story, but know it was at least good. If it has 3 to 5 stars, THAT's a winner.

I HATE boring, dragging, overly "describing the landscape and scenery" books!

I LIKE somewhat edgy, realistic, psychological, memoir-ish, moving right along books!

So...here's my list! This is only a start. MANY more to follow. Would love to hear from anyone who like these authors too!

5 Minutes For Mom Reviews and lists books for us and for our kids of all ages! Check it out. http://www.5minutesforbooks.com/


Joyce Carol Oates
We Were the Mulvaney's *****
I'll Take You There ****
My Sister, My Love
The Gravedigger's Daughter *****
You Must Remember This ****
High Lonesome ***
The Falls ****
Man Crazy **
My Heart Laid Bare **
Because it is Bitter: Because It Is My Heart ***


Chris Bohjalian
Midwives *****
Before You Know Kindness
Trans-sister Radio *****
Buffalo Soldier
The Law of Similars
The Double Bind ****

Jodi Piccoult
I have read all except the current one (reading it right now)......more to follow. She's kind of a light read, but very good.

Kelly Corrigan
The Middle Place ***


Kim Edwards
The Memory Keeper's Daughter ****

Sarah Gruen
Water For Elephants ****

Jeffrey Eugenides
Middlesex *****

Melinda Haynes
Mother of Pearl ****

Audrey Niffenegger
The Time Traveler's Wife *****

Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time ***

Lalita Tademy
Cane River *****

Diane Ackerman
The Zookeeper's Wife *****

Wally Lamb ***** The Hour I First Believed *****
She's Come Undone ****
I Know This Much Is True ****

Christina Schwarz
Drowning Ruth

Anna Quindlen
Black & Blue ***

Kaye Gibbons
A Virtuous Woman **

No comments:

Post a Comment